Information Modeling and Relational Databases, second edition, provides an introduction to ORM (Object-Role Modeling)and much more. In fact, it is the only book to go beyond introductory coverage and provide all of the in-depth instruction you need to transform knowledge from domain experts into a sound database design. This book is intended for anyone with a stake in the accuracy and efficacy of databases: systems analysts, information modelers, database designers and administrators, and programmers. Terry Halpin, a pioneer in the development of ORM, blends conceptual information with.;Front Cover; Information Modeling and Relational Databases; Copyright Page; Contents; Foreword by John Zachman; Foreword by Sjir Nijssen; Foreword by Gordon Everest; Preface; Chapter 1 Introduction; 1.1 Information Modeling; 1.2 Modeling Approaches; 1.3 Some Historical Background; 1.4 The Relevant Skills; 1.5 Summary; Chapter 2 Information Levels and Frameworks; 2.1 Four Information Levels; 2.2 The Conceptual Level; 2.3 Database Design Example; 2.4 Development Frameworks; 2.5 Summary; Chapter 3 Conceptual Modeling: First Steps; 3.1 Conceptual Modeling Language Criteria
Information Modeling and Relational Databases provides an introduction to ORM (Object Role Modeling)-and much more. In fact, it’s the only book to go beyond introductory coverage and provide all of the in-depth instruction you need to transform knowledge from domain experts into a sound database design.
Inside, ORM authority Terry Halpin blends conceptual information with practical instruction that will let you begin using ORM effectively as soon as possible. Supported by examples, exercises, and useful background information, his step-by-step approach teaches you to develop a natural-language-based ORM model and then, where needed, abstract ER and UML models from it. This book will quickly make you proficient in the modeling technique that is proving vital to the development of accurate and efficient databases that best meet real business objectives.
* The most in-depth coverage of Object Role Modeling available anywhere-written by a pioneer in the development of ORM.
* Provides additional coverage of Entity Relationship (ER) modeling and the Unified Modeling Language-all from an ORM perspective.
* Intended for anyone with a stake in the accuracy and efficacy of databases: systems analysts, information modelers, database designers and administrators, instructors, managers, and programmers.
* Explains and illustrates required concepts from mathematics and set theory.
* Via a companion Web site, provides answers to exercises, appendices covering the history of computer generations, subtype matrices, and advanced SQL queries, and links to downloadable ORM tools.
Author: T. A. Halpin,Terence Aidan Halpin
Publisher: Morgan Kaufmann
Genre: Computers / Databases / General
Date Published: 2001
Preview Link: Google Preview Link
Download : Download Free Book